viernes, 23 de septiembre de 2011

DEBATE: ARE UNIFORMS A GOOD IDEA?


3rd year students were debating about the use of uniforms. Are uniforms more convenient? Are they boring? What would you do if Norba school decided to make students wear uniforms? Read an article about this issue and then give your own opinion adding a comment.

http://debatepedia.idebate.org/en/index.php/Debate:School_Uniform_(JUNIOR)


The question of whether children should wear a uniform to school always makes for a lively debate, and not only among students! In some countries school uniform is normal and most schools make their students wear one. Britain is the most obvious example of this, but in many other countries with strong links to Britain uniform often has to be worn to school - examples include Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong, South Africa and many other African countries. Uniform is also required at almost all schools in Japan. In other countries, particularly in continental Europe, the USA and Canada, uniform is very rare in state-funded schools, although private schools may have one. Debates about school uniform have been going on for decades in different countries and districts, but during the 1990s state schools in the USA began to adopt uniforms. At first uniform rules were seen as a way of stopping children dressing in gang colours in troubled urban areas. Later, claims that introducing uniform leads to better discipline and educational results encouraged other school districts and schools to make a change. Both the Clinton and Bush administrations have been in favour of school uniforms. Other countries have picked up on this trend.

whether=if (si)
should=deberían
lively=animado
state-funded school=escuelas públicas
claims=afirmaciones
encouraged=animó
have picked up on this trend=han seguido esta tendencia

22 comentarios:

  1. My personal opinion about uniforms is negative, don´t like having to wear uniforms becausebecause the uniforms are ugly, expensive, and in summer they spend a lot of heat.
    María Luceño

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I'm against uniforms because they're expensive, our mothers have to wash them everyday and they're uncomfortable

    ResponderEliminar
  3. I'm against uniforms because they're unconfortable,wecan feel very hot during some months and it's boring to wear the same clothes everyday.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. My opinion, everybody wears the same clothes and are boring.
    You only have a skirt, a pair of shoes and two T-shirts.
    Natalia!

    ResponderEliminar
  5. I don't like uniforms because everybody wears the same clothes. The unifors are boring and ugly. You can't wear your favourite clothes.
    María Ávila

    ResponderEliminar
  6. I tink the uniforms are a good idea because are prctical but the uniforms are very boring and expensive.
    Andrea Naranjo

    ResponderEliminar
  7. I don't like uniformms because you can feeel very hot during some months, uniforms are ugly.
    Ana

    ResponderEliminar
  8. I think it´s boring and you no can´t wear a clothes . Everybody wear the same clothes

    ResponderEliminar
  9. I´m against uniforms, I think they are ugly and boring.Uniforms are expensive and they aren´t made of good materials.

    Tomás Gerónimo muñoz Sánche-Matas

    ResponderEliminar
  10. I'm against uniforms because you aren´t free to wear the clothing style you like, they are ugly and it's boring if everybody wears the same clothes. Although they are very practical because you don't have to think about what to wear every day.

    ResponderEliminar
  11. I think uniforms are ugly, inexpensive, must be purchased each year.But I also think they are smart and don´t have to choose clothes every day.

    ResponderEliminar
  12. I´m against uniforms, I think they are boring.
    Everybody wear the same clothes and we can be very hot during some months.
    Our mothers have to wash them everyday

    ResponderEliminar
  13. I think that it isn't a good idea, because, if you wear a uniform, you can't espress yourself. Moreover it is expensive too. However, if you wear a uniform, you don't have to think about clothes every day.


    Javier Luceño Sánchez.

    ResponderEliminar
  14. My opinion about uniform is negative because they are expensive, they are usually ugly and it is very boring wearing the same clothes everyday.

    ResponderEliminar
  15. I think that the uniforms are horrible and boring, boring because you wear it all the days and horrible because ARE HORRIBLE!

    ResponderEliminar
  16. I'm against uniforms. I think uniforms are ugly, boring and unconfortable.
    I prefer wears with my favourite clothes ;)

    ResponderEliminar
  17. I'm against uniforms because there isn't freedom of expression. It's boring.
    Everybody wears the same clothes so, you can't wear your favourite clothes.
    You have to buy an uniform every year, they are expensives an your mothers have to wash them every day.
    Finaly, you can feel hot during some months and you can't recognise your frirnds when they are "far away".

    ResponderEliminar
  18. I thing that the uniforms are boring, expensive, ugly and our mothers have to wash them everyday.

    ResponderEliminar
  19. I think that uniforms are annoying because you cannot wear with clothes that you like it.
    Jorge Mayordomo

    ResponderEliminar
  20. I think that uniforms are bad idea because uniforms are hot and very simples.I prefer to wear my clothes more beautiful and more trendy

    ResponderEliminar